Original is here
Who's Who ?
If you read all of this there are at least a few
for the books, be forewarned...
The following are 'most' of the names from both Amber series.
I have included information from the Amber Visual Guide as
well. Also I've included some of the information from the
forward by Roger Zelazny which appeared in the Combat Command
book, titled Roger Zelazny's Nine Princes In Amber, The
Black Road War by Neil Randall. This gives info on some of
Oberon's wives as well as mentioning Mirelle, Random's sister
who died. That's where the Visual Guide got this info, BTW.
The 'colors' for the various Amberites were done for the
1988 Amber Board game and copied in both the Black Road War
and the Visual Guide.
- Updated 23/9/93
- Ken Crook has added more people from the last book,
corrected a few mistakes and added a section on places,
terms and miscellaneous info.
- Translated 5/5/95
- Jean-Christophe Dubacq put this file in HTML format
- The Amberites
- Benedict (Weapon Master of Amber)
- Eldest son of Oberon. Tall, dour, thin, long strong
jaw, hazel eyes, straight brown hair. Wears orange,
yellow and brown. Symbol is a Sunflower.
- Flaming red hair, blue eyes, bearded, slight chin.
Wears red and orange, mostly silk, lots of jewelry.
Symbol is an open spell book.
- Brand (Supposedly dead, slain by Caine at Patternfall War)
- Green eyes, red hair, short beard, small. Wears green.
Possessed Werewindle, DaySword, burning blade of the
Pattern. Underwent the full ritual to become a Living
Trump in the Keep of Four Worlds. Symbol is a falling
star in a starry background.
- Caine (Supposed to be dead, killed by Rinaldo/Luke)
- Swarthy, dark eyed. Wears black and green. Symbol is a
sea-gull against a stormy night sky.
- Daughter of Oberon and the wife of the Begman Prime
Minister, Kinta. She now possesses the Jewel of
Judgement (Left Eye of the Serpent) within her eye
socket. Is married to Rinaldo I, King of Kashfa.
- Corwin (Carl Corey, Cordell Fennevall [in France])
- Green eyes, black hair. Weighs about 200 lbs. and looks
to be 30ish. Wears black and silver. Wields Grayswandir,
NightBlade, the moon-sword of the Pattern. Symbol is a
- Blond hair, large, muscular-frame. Wears black and
green. Sworn enemy of Amber because his mother was
supposedly raped by Oberon while a prisoner. Symbol is
a heraldic lion rending a unicorn which he wears as a
medallion around his neck. Originally from Eregnor.
- Son of Oberon and Lora, has twin sister Sand. Wears
brown and black. Left Amber long ago. Dark blond hair
and green eyes.
- Deirdre (Supposedly dead, dragged to the Abyss by Brand in the Patternfall War)
- Long black hair and blue eyes. Dresses in black with
silver. Symbol is a crescent moon. Wore black plate
and fought with a battle-ax at the Patternfall war.
- Eric (Supposedly dead, killed by Manticore while defending Amber and wearing the Jewel)
- Blue/black hair, beard, very handsome. Wears red and
black. Symbol is a pair of crossed fencing swords in
front of a full moon in a totally black sky. His elite
soldiers in Amber were called Weir and were shape-
- Finndo (Supposedly killed in service to Amber)
- He supposedly died in the service of Amber shortly
after Osric's demise. Wears green and gold.
- Fiona (Fi)
- Red hair, green eyes, pale complexion like mother of
pearl, 5'2". Wears green, lavender, purple. Symbol is
a white inverted pentacle with an inverted pentagram
within it against a black background.
- Florimel (Flora, Evelyn Flaumel)
- Golden hair, blue eyes. Wears green and gray. Symbol
is a lotus flower in front of a partially eclipsed sun.
Has several Irish Wolfhounds named Donder, Blitzen, etc.
Drinks Irish Mist. Used a bow at the Patternfall war.
- Gerard (Protector of the seas of the Golden Circle)
- Green eyes, black hair, big, fringe beard and light
moustache, looks a lot like Corwin but bigger and with a
heavier jaw. Wears blue and gray with black. Symbol is
a chalice. In the "Black Road War" his symbol is
listed as a bronze, three-masted ship.
- Julian (Protector of the forests of Arden)
- Long dark hair, blue eyes, dour expression. Wears
scaled white enamel scale armor. Colors are white and
black. Symbol is a hunting hawk descending in attack.
In the "Black Road War" his symbol is noted as being a
- Jade eyes with green hair/skin, typical Rebman
complexion. Dresses in gray and green with lavender.
Lives in Rebma. Symbol is a dolphin against a watery
background. Used a bow at the Patternfall war.
- Son of Random and Morganthe of Rebma. He currently
attires himself in punk rock clothing complete with a
red-tinted mohawk and plays head-banger music. His
symbol is the radiation symbol of our shadow earth.
- Merlin (Merle Corey)
- Black hair, blue eyes, muscular. Colors are gray and
purple. Trained in Sorcery and Trump Artistry in the
Courts. He has essayed the Logrus and Walked the
Pattern. He is now King in the Courts of Chaos. His
symbol is an upright pentacle of white within a dark
circular background. Currently wears one Spikkard and
possesses a second one. Son of Dara Sawall and Corwin.
- Osric (Supposedly killed in battle)
- He killed three of the House of Karm in a vendetta.
Osric is acquitted by Oberon at a hearing but is
subsequently sent to the front lines in a nasty war and
killed. Wears silver and red.
- Random (Now King of Amber)
- 5'6" 135 lbs. Straw-colored hair, sharp nose, small,
laughing mouth. Wears orange, red, and brown. His
symbol is a small drum set with stick crossed above it.
- Rinaldo (A.K.A. Lucas Raynard/Luke)
- Son of the traitor Brand and the sorceress Queen Jasra.
He has undergone the minor power ritual in the Font of
Power in the Keep of Four Worlds. Now King of Kashfa.
Symbol is a phoenix rising from a flame. Wears green.
Very familiar with the Courts since his mother was recruited
from a nearby Shadow by Dara.
- Daughter of Oberon and Lora, has twin brother Delwin.
Wears pale tan and dark brown. Left Amber long ago.
- The Ancient Ones
- Dworkin Barimen
- Small, 5' tall gnarled old hunchback. He is the architect of
the Great Pattern and of Amber itself. It is said that he
came from the Courts originally. He is the father of Oberon
and grandfather of all the other Amberites. Drew the
original Amber Family Trumps, inscribed the original Primal
Pattern, transcribed the Book of the Unicorn. His symbol is
the Pattern itself.
- Oberon (Supposedly died re-drawing the Pattern during the
- Pattern Fall War)
Father of the 'Elder' generation of Amberites. Symbol
is the five-sided Crown of Amber.
- The Unicorn
- Matriarch of the Amberites, and their Goddess. She and
Dworkin conceived Oberon, the 1st Amberite. Gave the
Jewel of Judgement to Dworkin after 'acquiring' it from
the Serpent of Chaos. 'Dictated' a book of religious
lore called the Book of the Unicorn.
- The Chaosians
- Amblerash, Lord Bances
- Distant relative of Swayvill and High Priest of the Serpent.
- Chanicut, Prince Tubble (Thought to have fallen into the Pit at
- Placid, heavy, subtle. Centuries old and very shrewd.
Fringe beard, wide and innocent eyes, master of many games.
- Helgram, Lintra
- Hell-maid who Benedict spend some 'time' with. She cut
off Benedict's arm but is then killed by him.
- Helgram, Suhuy (Master Of The Logrus)
- Master/Teacher of sorcery in the Courts. He is the
Uncle of Merlin, Mandor, Jurt, and Despil. Quite old.
- Hendrake, Duchess Belissa Minobee
- Current head of House Hendrake.
- Hendrake, Lord Borel
- Master of Arms of the Ways of Hendrake. Killed by Corwin
during the Patternfall war through dirty fighting. Said to
have had two brothers as well as a half-brother and
half-sister. Son of Larsus and Belissa Minobee.
- Hendrake, Chinaway (supposedly killed by Pattern Ghost of Gerard)
- Huge chaos warrior said to have a collection of over two hundred
skulls of those he's dispatched.
- Hendrake, Gilva
- Tall, dark-eyed shape-shifting female.
- Hendrake, Duke (General) Larsus Minobee
- Slain by Julian in the Patternfall War.
- Sorceress of the Way of the Broken Pattern. She is the
mother of Rinaldo I, King of Kashfa, as well as being
the ruler of the Keep of Four Worlds. Former wife of
Brand. She was once a maid-companion of House Helgram and
was taught Sorcery by Dara in Chaos.
- Jesby, Prince Rolovians.
- Deceased head of House Jesby.
- Jesby, Tmer (Said to have been killed by an assassin's dagger)
- Eldest son of the late Prince Rolovians. Spade beard, heavy
brow, sturdily built.
- Sawall, Dara (Mistress Of The Logrus)
- Tall and thin with short brown hair and freckles, dark
eyes. Mother of Merlin, Jurt and Despil. Wife of
Rim-Duke Gramble Sawall. She has essayed the Logrus
and walked the Pattern. Possibly the great
grand-daughter of Benedict. Father was of House
Helgram, mother was of House Hendrake. Symbol is
a circle divided lengthwise, left side black and
right side white.
- Sawall, Despil
- Son of Sawall and Dara. Middle child between Merlin and Jurt.
- Sawall, Gramble
- Rim Duke of the Courts. Father of Jurt, Despil, and
Mandor. Husband of Dara. Stepfather of Merlin.
- Sawall, Jurt
- Son of Sawall and Dara. Once hunted Merlin with blood
vengeance. Has undergone the greater power ritual in
the Font of Power in the Keep of Four Worlds. He is
now a Living Trump.
- Sawall, Mandor
- Son of Sawall and Another. Powerful sorcerer from the
courts who uses metal balls as a foci. Very dignified
and regal. Has white hair and distinguishing/noble
characteristics. Symbol is four squares of a
chessboard, two black and two white, the white squares
diagonal from each other and containing a black pawn in
the upper left hand square and a black knight in the
lower right hand square all contained within a circle.
- Swayvil (Supposedly dead, died of old age/years of poisoning)
- King of the Courts of Chaos. Said to have died of
illness and old age.
- Alice Roth
- Bill Roth's wife.
- Kashfan dupe for Random who he had on the throne.
- Bill Roth
- Short, heavy, ruddy complexion with graying temples.
Official lawyer of the crown, and resident of Shadow
- Bill Roth Jr.
- One of Bill's sons who happens to have twin boys.
- Captain Thoben
- A sailor in Amber's navy.
- Julian's date at Eric's coronation.
- Flora's swarthy, mole-flecked, Puerto Rican maid while
on Shadow Earth.
- Cordell Fennevall
- Corwin's name when he was an amnesiac in France.
- Probably the first wife of Oberon she was the mother of
Benedict, Finndo, and Osric.
- Dan Martinez (Supposedly dead, killed by Luke)
- Man who the Ty'iga possessed and tried to kill Luke.
- Deela the Desacratrix
- She is the mother of Dalt. Supposedly raped by Oberon
after he imprisoned her, she was notorious for burning
the Unicorn Shrine at Begma. She was killed leading her
troops in battle against Amber after her escape.
- Old man-servant to the court of Amber.
- Droppa Ma'Pantz
- Midget who is court jester to the throne of Amber.
- Mother of Flora she died in childbirth.
- She was a wife of Oberon and mother to Eric, Corwin and
Deirdre. Died in childbirth.
- Luke's girlfriend from Berkeley days. Was possessed by the
- Once a trusted military man under Corwin he was exiled
by Corwin in Shadow for betrayal. Also, a pseudonym for
Oberon as he travels with Corwin.
- George Hansen
- Neighbor kid of Bill Roth's who the Ty'iga possessed.
- Shaggy-headed female serpent who was a childhood friend of
- Benedict's war horse with red and black striping.
- Demon servant of House Sawall. Sent to bring Merlin back
to the Courts for Swayvill's funeral.
- Another 'wife' of Oberon this just didn't work out and
they separated by mutual consent; no record of divorce
or annulment; no record of marriage either; peculiar
since Oberon did for a time refer to her as his wife.
No offspring are known from their 'marriage'.
- Bird (crow) of 'Ill Omen' who Corwin encountered in the
'Borderlands' and was subsequently eaten by him.
- James (Jamie)
- Guard who dispenses lanterns in the dungeon level of
- Jaston (Supposedly dead, fell from a balcony...)
- Deceased King of Kashfa before Rinaldo I.
- 5'6", stooped, hard of hearing, wears a gray beard. He
is the lighthouse-keeper at Cabra (43 miles West of
Amber). He was captain of his own ship for 100 years
- Merlin's girlfriend from Berkeley days on Shadow Earth.
Later revealed to be Mask and to have trained under the
sorceress Jasra. At one time in control of the Keep of
- Another childhood friend of Merlin, this one a true
shape-shifter seldom in the same form or gender.
- Mother of Coral and wife of the Begman diplomat Orkuz.
- Chaosian friend of Merlin's killed by Corwin.
- Sir Lancelot duLac (Lance)
- Knight of Avalon found nearly dead and saved by Corwin.
- Deity-like name invoked by Moire "Lir knows where his
- Oberon married her in another Shadow while Rilga was
still living at her Shrine. Different time-streams,
though, tricky to date. She is the mother of Delwin and
Sand, the twins.
- Lord Bayle
- Minor noble of Amber, most noted as a vintner, maker of
Bayle's Best and Bayle's Piss.
- Lord Chantris
- Noble of Amber who was at the Patternfall War and
witnessed the death of Brand and Deirdre.
- Lord Feldane
- Noble of Amber who was at the Patternfall War and
witnessed the death of Brand and Deirdre.
- Lord Rein
- Noble of Amber who was an ally of Corwin during the
- Corwin's love-interest in the 'New Avalon'.
- Meg Devlin
- Married woman who the Ty'iga possessed and slept with
- Moins (Supposed to be dead, Old Queen of Rebma)
- She is the mother of Llewella and one-time ruler of
Rebma during the 'old days' of Oberon's rule.
- Moire (Queen of Rebma)
- Sea-'elven' queen of the under water reflection of
Amber, called Rebma. She gave Corwin 'refuge' during
the interregnum and allowed him to walk Rebma's Pattern
to regain his memories. She keeps the key to Rebma's
Pattern with her.
- Daughter of Queen Moire of Rebma who fell in love with
Random and later committed suicide when he left her.
She is the mother of Martin.
- Julian's legendary war horse. Trained to hate Corwin.
- Daughter of Orkuz, of the Begman delegation. She was
possessed by the Ty'iga prior to her death. The Ty'iga
now is trapped in this body.
- Old John
- Mercenary soldier and emissary for Random to Kashfa.
- Begman diplomat sent to Amber to meet with Random about
Eregnor and Kashfa.
- Mother of Random and Mirelle. She was quite high-strung
and ended up committing suicide. She was most likely
from our own Shadow Earth. After her death Oberon had
her body lain in State for 10 days as a memorial.
- Shadow girl Merlin played with as a child. From Wildwood.
- Rick Kinsky
- Julia's old boyfriend on Shadow Earth.
- She is the mother of Caine, Julian, and Gerard. She
aged more rapidly than most of Oberon's wives and
finally retired to the Shrine of the Unicorn spending
the rest of her days as a recluse.
- A guard in the dungeons of Amber near the Pattern Room.
- An Amber castle guard.
- Scrof (Supposedly dead, killed by Merlin)
- Guardian set at the end of the 'wormhole' gate in
- Sharu Garrul
- Shadow sorcerer who once controlled the Keep of Four
Worlds. Now is imprisoned as the 'Guardian of the
- Corwin's horse.
- Merlin's horse, black and orange striped.
- Vialle (Queen of Amber)
- 5'1", slim, brunette, fine featured and soft spoken. She
is the wife of Random she is the blind sculptress that
he was forced to marry in Rebma but has since grown to
love. She is adept in the healing arts and has uncanny
perception despite her disability (able to use Trumps).
Her symbol is of crashing waves.
- Victor Melman (Supposedly dead, killed by Merlin with Primal Chaos)
- Minor Shadow Sorcerer who tried to sacrifice Merlin.
Trained by Jasra.
- Vinta Bayle
- Caine's woman, daughter of Lord Bayle.
- An Amber castle guard.
- Sentient tree which marks the boundry between Amber and
Chaos. Planted by Oberon long ago a staff of it was used
by Corwin when creating his Pattern.
- Places, terms, miscellaneous
- Area of the Courts of Chaos which is so violently chaotic
that supposedly no corporeal beings can survive. This is
where Brand and Deirdre fell.
- Arbor House
- Estate of Lord and Lady Bayle, nobles of Amber.
- Arden Forest
- Primeval forest outside of Amber whre Julian and his
Ranger's are known to patrol.
- Shadow where Corwin once ruled. It was later destroyed in
some way, but a Shadow of it came to be ruled by Benedict.
- Shadow where Bleys and Corwin recruited furry troops to aid
in the seige upon Amber.
- "Ballad of the Water Crossers"
- Amber merchant navy song attributed to Corwin.
- Port for the family Bayle.
- Major Kingdom in the Golden Circle.
- Black Watch
- Protection set upon an individual by a House when a vendetta
or other danger to them is imminent.
- Bloody _______'s
- Restaurant in Death Alley where excellent seafood may be
found. The name changes often due to its proprietor's
- Book of the Serpent Hung upon the Tree of Matter
- Bible of the Ways of the Serpent.
- Minor 'branches' of a major Way. There are 8 byway
residences to Sawall.
- Area of land 43 miles west of Amber. A small island upon
which stands a lighthouse. Jopin, the ancient sea captain,
dwells there and runs the lighthouse.
- Cathedral of the Serpent
- Huge amphitheater with frozen fire banisters and other
fire-furnished additions. At the very edge of the Pit.
- Term used for time-keeping in the Courts. Perhaps a 'month'?
- Jurt Sawall's personal residence in Chaos.
- Death Alley
- Rough part of Amber city near the docks.
- Dr. Bailey
- One of Corwin's doctors upon Shadow Earth.
- Dr. Brandon Corey
- Alias of Brand upon Shadow Earth.
- Land which Kashfa and Begma have constantly warred over.
- Stairway leading down into Rebman, the underwater reflection
- Fire Gate
- A way-exchange in Shadow near the Courts. High promontory
of white stone beneath a black sky, beside a black sea. Two
semi-circles of pale flame form parentheses here. At least
14 towers out in Shadow can be seen and the shadow viels are
so weak there that these may be walked to normally.
- Fortress Gantu
- Jasra's personal residence in Chaos.
- Greenwood Private Hospital
- Upstate, east-coast hospital where Corwin was being kept at
the beginning of the Chronicles.
- Grove of the Unicorn
- Green grove upon Kolvir where the Unicorn has been sighted.
- Hall of Mirrors
- Seemingly divinatory area of Castle Amber which randomly
appears to various individuals.
- Both Benedict and Martin and travelled to the trade city
which seemed rather mexican in appearance. Said to be where
the Techys dwell.
- Irish Wolfhounds
- There are 6 of these creatures which Flora owns, each named
after one of Santa's reindeer.
- Capital of Kashfa.
- Jones Falls
- Area where Benedict held off the Moonriders of Ghenesh.
- One of the major Kingdoms of the Golden Circle.
- Keep Of Four Worlds
- Nexus of four elemental Shadows in collision. Now guarded
by Sharu Garrul this is where Brand undertook the ritual of
Power which gave him the Living Trump ability. Later, Jurt
Sawall undertook a similar process. The Keep is controlled
- Shadow of Avalon where Corwin met Ganelon and got the
jeweler's rouge for his second attempt to gain Amber's
throne. Contained the fairy ring where the Black Road
- Residence of Mandor Sawall. Said to contain vast labyrinths.
- Maze Of Art
- This is within House Sawall. A large, labyrinth-like
collection of art gathered by Gramble.
- Pit Of Chaos
- Area where crazed chaos bungee-jumpers dive in hopes of
retrieving artifacts. This area is inhabited by
non-corporeal creatures such as the Ty'iga.
- Plaza at the End of the World
- Concourse near the Pit of Chaos made of wide avenues and
four large buildings.
- Porter Sanitarium
- Place in Albany, NY where Corwin was placed under the care of
Dr. Brandon Corey.
- Underwater reflection of Amber ruled by Queen Moire.
- Red-Gold Serpent
- Symbol emblazoned upon the deceased Swayvill's clothing.
- River Oisen
- Large river which borders the Vale of Garnath and runs
through Arden and into the sea.
- Random's shadow which as a good place for jazz and gambling.
- Massive, glassy needle of Chaos where the King resides upon
the very edge of the Abyss.
- Tir-na Nog'th
- Amber's reflection in the sky. Ghost-city of dreams and
images it is only visible when the moonlight is upon it.
Three steps carved from Kolvir are the only part which is
solid during total darkness or in daylight.
- Term used for time-keeping in the Courts. Refers to the
color of sky. Mentioned were Redsky, Whitesky (morning?),
Bluesky (evening, supper?). Seems to be divided into
- Valley of Garnath
- A great, green vale south of Amber and east of Arden forest.
It is bordered on its southern side by the river Oisen. It
is also visible from Cabra.
- Way of the Serpent
- State religion of Chaos.
- Ways of Anch
- Gramble Sawall's second stead at the very Rim.
- Shadow near the Courts where Merlin played in a cemetary as a
child and met the girl Rhanda.
- Partial lineage of Oberon & family
(Children of Oberon total 47 including illigitimates...)
Oberon-Deela the Desacratrix Oberon-Rilga
Oberon-Moins (Rebman Queen) Oberon-Paulette
Flora None Known
Benedict-Lintra (Hellmaid) Corwin-Dara
||| (Great Grand-Daughter) |
Random-Morganthe Dara-Duke Sawall
Jean-Christophe Dubacq (email@example.com)